Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Super simple pot roast

Who doesn't love pot roast?! I suppose it's not something you could mess too easily, especially in the ever-so-handy slow cooker, either. However, here I go again...So proud of myself for "cooking" another meal. I'm shameless...I know. But really- this isn't something I'm used to doing! :)

Here's what I used, some which I bought and some of which I had in my fridge and needed to use up (some suggested by my mom):

- 4lb roast from Giant Eagle. This was a lot of meat and buying a single one for $20 was pricey, but they often have B1G1 deals so it was really only $10.

- Five medium/large potatoes cut into chunks

- Five whole carrots chunked into large pieces

- 3/4 large white onion

- 1 bag frozen green beans

- Onion soup mix

- One can beef broth

- One can cream of mushroom soup

- 2 cups water to give it a little more "juice" (I really should have used two cans of beef broth, though.)

- Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients into the slow cooker and set your desired time/heat setting. I set mine on "high" heat for 6 hours. The roast wasn't quite as tender and I had hoped and think it could have used a tad bit more time, but it was cooked through and it still cut easily. We had PLENTY of meat leftover- of course, a family of two adults and three small children can't eat 4lbs of meat! It was super yummy, easy and cheap to make. My 15 month old ate two helpings at dinner that night, as well as two helpings for lunch the next day!

Here is a picture pre
-cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment